Jean Brandl has over 28 years of criminal court experience. If you or a family member are under investigation or are being prosecuted for a crime, you need a defense lawyer who will provide you with the highest level of performance with proven results. Jean has the knowledge and skills necessary to successfully negotiate a favorable resolution and/or aggressively fight your case at trial.
Jean has won numerous jury trials, has negotiated excellent results for her clients, and has the compassion and experience needed to make you feel comfortable during a stressful and complicated time. Using creative and unique tactics in negotiation, trial, and sentencing, Jean will work closely with you to create a strategy tailored specifically to your legal needs. She will stay in close contact with you so you fully understand your case and can make informed decisions.
Jean is a Certified Criminal Law Specialist selected by the Minnesota State Bar Association (less than 3% of all attorneys in Minnesota are certified specialists in criminal law). She was awarded the San Diego Criminal Defense Bar Association Special Award for Courageous and Zealous Advocacy and was Attorney of the Year in the San Diego Alternate Public Defender’s Office. Her successes have been reported in the Minneapolis Star Tribune, the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Fox News, Minnesota Public Radio and the San Diego Union Tribune.
Jean has represented thousands of people charged with crimes in Minnesota and California State Courts, in Federal Court, and in the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. She has handled many complex and sensitive cases including white collar crimes and criminal sexual conduct cases. She has worked with numerous individuals on the Autism Spectrum, negotiating creative solutions with prosecutors, probation officers, and judges to keep her clients with Autism out of jail and prison. If you or a family member are on the Autism Spectrum, you need an attorney with the experience necessary to handle such unique and sensitive cases.
Bar Admissions and Affiliations
- Minnesota State Bar, admitted 2007
- California State Bar, admitted 1991
- United States Supreme Court Bar, admitted 2013
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, admitted 2012
- United States District Court in Minnesota, admitted 2007
- Certified Criminal Law Specialist, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2011
- Member, Minnesota Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Member, Hennepin County Bar Association
- Member, Ramsey County Bar Association
- Member, Minnesota Women Lawyers
- Member, Minnesota Lavender Bar Association
- Mount Holyoke College, B.A. English, 1985
- University of Minnesota Law School, Juris Doctor, 1988
- California Public Defender Association, 2000-2002 Seminars: Closing Arguments
- Minnesota CLE, Effective use of Expert Witnesses
- PACER: Navigating the Juvenile Justice System for Kids with Disabilities
Honors and Awards
- Attorney of the Year – San Diego Alternate Public Defender, 1999
- Award for Courageous and Zealous Advocacy – San Diego Criminal Defense Bar Association, 2002